Monday, February 25, 2008

He Was Ready

Yesterday, a legendary figure in contemporary Christian music went to be with the Lord. His song, "I Wish We'd All Been Ready," had an impact on my generation, even if I didn't know who sang it at the time. It was later that I became a little more introduced to Larry Norman (thanks Monte and OBED!). Some other Larry Norman classics you might have heard include "Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music" and "Why Don't You Look into Jesus".

Thank you, Larry, for your music, and may God comfort your family, friends, and fans. We do not mourn as those without hope.

1 comment:

Kyle Brown said...

Hey DJ!

I thought I'd leave your first comment. I can remember the one (and only) time I ever saw Larry Norman in person. This was back when I was in college (probably about 1988), and we saw him at Twin City Bible Church in Urbana.

Larry was just starting to tour again after a break to support a new album, and he put on a wonderful acoustic set with just him and his guitar. It's a fairly small church, and there was a group of us from the Baptist Student Union who sat about 3 rows back and sang along with every song he did from his trilogy (Only Visiting This Planet, So Long Ago The Garden and In Another Land ).

He seemed a little bit taken aback by this (it seemed like he was thinking -- why do you young kids know all this old stuff? -- again, thank OBED!) but rolled with it and put on a great concert.

Great blog!

Kyle