Friday, March 21, 2008

Not So High on the Mountain

I enjoy my traditions. I can't imagine not eating turkey on Thanksgiving; I'm so glad we can still go to Grandpa and Grandma's for Christmas; even if it's just me, I still stay up to watch the new year come in. I don't quite feel like I've "done" Christmas until I've watched "It's a Wonderful Life." And remember the "good ole days" when ABC used to show "The Ten Commandments" on Easter Sunday night?

ABC seems to really have a problem with Christianity. How many specials have they aired to take a closer look at some aspect of Christianity where they have focused on not those who hold to an orthodox view but those from the liberal fringe (i.e. the Jesus Seminar folks) who look to tear down if they could the fundamentals of the Christian faith. In fact, just in time for this Easter season, ABC "News" brings us this report of a professor who thinks Moses may have actually been doing drugs. Of course, that doesn't really account for the chariots and bones at the bottom of the Red Sea.

Within the past ten years ABC has been trying to do all they can to mess up the Easter tradition of the showing of "The Ten Commandments." First, they dropped it from the Easter season completely over supposed concerns that it might be growing a little old. That resulted in quite a few phone calls to the network. Then they tried creating their own version of "The Ten Commandments," a mini-series that is perhaps a little less caricature but a little more improperly politically correct. Then they practically hid it on Saturday night to avoid having to miss an episode of "Desperate Housewives." And that is where I discovered it sits on this year's line-up. So tomorrow night, I'll be trying to watch that classic movie, but it won't be the same as on Easter night. But at least my mom won't be sending me to bed right after the parting of the Red Sea. But I may have to get my children to bed by then....

May God bless you and your family this Easter as you consider Jesus' death on the cross on this Good Friday and His victory over sin and death on Resurrection Sunday!

No comments: